Saturday, April 30, 2011

PICU

Well our babies are no longer NICU babies....they are PICU babies (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit). Last night before Chris and I left they discussed with us that they may move them to PICU because of shortage of staffing in the NICU. When we called to check on the babies at 10:30 last night, they were not going to move them but we insisted that they call us if they did....so at 2:24 this morning the siren ringtone went off on my phone...at first my heart stopped but Chris rolled over to answer it and they were calling to tell us that they were moving the Nuggets. I instantly wanted to get up and come up here with them but Chris said we needed to get our rest.

When we got up here, of course we got lost because this hospital has so many stinking wings to it and we kept taking the wrong elevators and parking in the wrong spots...but we FINALLY made it to see our precious PICU babies....but let me back up a bit:
When I first found out they were being moved, I was mad, frustrated and nervous because we have spent the past 4 weeks in the NICU with the same nurses, doctors, other mothers and familiar faces...so I was concerned about the "new staff" and new faces that I would be around for the majority of my day as well as who would be taking care of my babies. Plus I had met some great people in the NICU and I was going to miss them.

But anways, we got up here after finally finding it and were greeted with smiling and friendly faces. Their new "room" is decorated in the solar system, their stuffed animals were already put in the room for them and their family pictures were put in their cribs so they could see them. And the best part (according to Chris) is that we have a lazy boy and a TV in our "new home". They had put Payge in a new cute outfit and put a bow on her so I was instantly happy. The PICU is a lot smaller and more intimate setting for an intensive unit. There are only about 6 rooms and usually only have 6-8 babies at a time. The nursing staff is a lot smaller but so far so good.

The babies will still see the same physician, NP, OT, PT and speech therapist so there will still be some familiar faces around for us, which makes me feel a little more comfortable.

Parker is still having brady's but luckily he is recovering still on his own. We discussed them with the NP today and she said that he is fine and will grow out of them...and the sooner he does the sooner we get to go home. They are still going to leave Payge on the ND feeding but we are going to give her 10mL 3x a day and see how she tolerates them.

Thank you God for being with me and the babies as we step out of our comfort zone and begin a new week in a different unit. God please be with Parker and his Brady's and be with Payge and help her tolerate her full feedings. Thank you for being with us, for keeping me strong and faithful and for using others to help us during this time. Thank you for Chris and our wonderful weekends together. God please just keep guiding us during this time. God also be with ALL the other babies of NICU and their mommies...it is a tough place to be but with YOU God all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment