Saturday, October 1, 2011

October First

The days of making out practice schedules, preparing pre season posters and speeches and setting up teams to scrimmage are long gone. October 1-the first legal day to practice school basketball. The day that for my entire life has been bigger than Christmas and more important than birthdays.

Well, this October first, we celebrated and rejoiced. This past Thursday we were at a softball game watching my brother coach when Payge, my sweet precious Payge, was hit in the head by a line drive foul ball. She was sitting in my mom's lap when Chris say the ball out of the corner of his eye and tried to stop it with a back hand. He blocked the ball but it then bounced off and hit Payge in the upper part of her head. Without Chris' attempt to slow down the ball.....well only God knows the damage that it could have done to my babygirl. We were rushed to St Johns ER in an ambulance and she was given a CT to see if and what the damagae was. Hours (and hours) later we were informed that she had a slight skull fracture and they were admitting us to Pediatric Intensive Care (PICU) where we had already spent 3 weeks of our lives.

After a night in PICU and then a night in Peds, we were told that Payge could go home and that we were lucky. I will go with the fact that we are blessed. Truly blessed. God, and Chris' state championship ring, saved my little girls life.

The babies celebrated their 6 month birthday today. A day that has approached rather too quickly. A day that was full of tears (from the setting and complete exhaustion) smiles and lots and lots of kisses and hugs. My two miracle Nuggets have been through so much in their short 6 months. We have had IV's, surgery, heart monitors, a trip to Florida for the passing of my Uncle, a move "back home" to Hickory Hills with Dede and Pop, an ambulance ride and oh so much more.

October first has come and gone. A day that my whole life used to revolve around. A day that I looked forward to and prepared for. I miss my girls. I miss decorating the locker room, timed miles once a week, setting up a scrimmage schedule and coaches clinic. But I wouldn't trade my life of rattles, breathing treatments, sweet potatoes and pre digested formula for the world right now.
So, October first, thank you for helping me realize that even though I miss it, there is more to life than airing up new basketball, sweeping the gym floor and pulling the practice jersey's out of storage. Thank you for opening up my eyes to "mommy hood" even thought I have ego issues at times about no longer being a "head coach" I know that my love for the game is deep in my heart and the passion I have for basketball will be passed on to the two that have made me realize that EVERY day matters and should be cherished, enjoyed and soaked up.

So, October first...you can keep your freshly waxed floors, your squeeky ball cage wheels and shoot aways-I will take my job as Head Mommy for now....but we will meet again one day....and I promise you that.

WC ladies-play hard and play smart and remember "do the little things right"

No comments:

Post a Comment