Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Choices you make....

Today during church we sang "Amazing Grace," one of my dad's favorite songs, and God used it to teach me about choices. It hit me that often we choose to be busy and drive 70mph in a 55mph just to rush and hurry up to get somewhere.
We hear the phrase "Life is not a matter of milestones, but of the moments that make it up" but we tend not to take it to heart. We choose to hurry, hurry, hurry and feel the need to go, go, go.
That is not what life is about. Life is about enjoying the minute by minute, day by days. We choose to be too busy for family gatherings or dinners, and instead choose to clean or sort through things. Often when we choose to be too busy, we hurt others. We don't realize that sometimes we just need to stop and "smell the roses."
Life can get busy and often throw us in a whirlwind, but we can choose to slow down and enjoy every bit of it (even the dirty diapers and sleepless nights.) Its all a choice. Its all up to us. No one can force us to be too busy or not enjoy the small moments. Yes I (full time job and mother of twins) realize that life can pass us by, but we allow it to. Stop. Listen. Relax. Enjoy.
When the babies were in the NICU, I had two choices, and I often explored both. I could ask "why?" and cry or I could thank God for two blessings, two babies that were healthy and just fine...just 7 weeks early. The other night I asked my dad what he thought when he first saw the babies wheeled by in their incubator being whisked to the NICU and he replied "I couldn't believe how small they were, but I counted their toes, fingers, ears and eyes and when I knew they were all their, I knew they were ok." Right then and there he chose to believe that his first biological grandchildren were going to be fine....
So, life gives us choices. I can cry from exhaustion and frustration when Parker screams about his braces in won't sleep unless I rock him, or I can choose to enjoy the moment because one day soon he won't want to be rocked. I can be stressed out about taking two babies everywhere I go and the change of lifestyle, or I can choose to thank God for the wonderful double blessings He has given me. Its all how you choose to look at it. Its all a choice. Life is a choice and how you choose affects not only others, but yourself and outlook on life. Slow down. Choose to be happy and to allow God to work in your life. Choose to smile instead of cry. Choose to rock your baby just a few minutes longer and choose to say "I love you" to someone and mean it. Life passes us by so quickly and days are not guaranteed. Choose to make each and every minute count.

No comments:

Post a Comment